Blacktown Workers conceded 28 unanswered points in a disappointing loss at home in round 13 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup.

By Ricky Newell

Blacktown Workers conceded 28 unanswered points in a disappointing loss at home today in round 13 of The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup.

The Sea Eagles got off to a flying start to lead 18-0 after 23 minutes before North Sydney Bears trailed by six at half-time., Unfortunately, the Bears then went on a scoring spree in the second half to record a 28-22 victory at HE Laybutt Field, Blacktown.

The Bears proved to be too strong, capitalising on the Sea Eagles’ mistakes to pile on the points.

Blacktown Workers Coach Wayne Lambkin left it short and sweet with his message post-game, highlighting the home side’s struggles and what ultimately cost them in the end. 

“One word. Discipline,” Lambkin said.

“Winning today would’ve made it three wins in a row for the side and ultimately would’ve been beneficial heading into the latter stages of the season.”

The Sea Eagles remain on 12 competition points with six wins and seven losses.

A cut-out pass from full-back Clayton Faulalo saw winger Jaxson Paulo score for a 6-0 lead after five minutes.

© Andrew Bateup Photography

North Sydney continued to be their own worst enemies as Blacktown blitzed to score their second eight minutes later after winger Watson Heleta dived over in the corner in spectacular fashion for a 12-0 scoreline. 

Blacktown five-eighth Brad Abbey reached out to ground the ball for his side’s third try in the 21st minute, with Faulalo once again providing the final pass to take the score to 18-0. 

The Bears hit back with eight minutes to play in the first half off the back of Jayden Yates, with the utility scooping the ball out of dummy half and pushing past to score for an 18-6 scoreline. 

Two former Blacktown players combined to score North Sydney’s second try three minutes later. Blacktown’s 2022 Players’ Player of the Year, Jake Toby, broke through the line and found halfback Ben Stevanovic, who ran away to score to make it 18-12. 

After trailing for 40 minutes, the Bears hit back in the 44th minute through second-rower Matt Stimson. Toby was once again influential in the build-up, sending Stimson over thanks to a smart grubber kick to level the score at 18-all. 

North Sydney capitalised on a fatigued Blacktown outfit to take the lead for the first time when centre Dean Ieremia scored in the corner in the 60th minute for a 22-18 scoreline. 

Momentum shifted completely in favour of the Bears as they continued to pile on points in quick succession. Hooker Bronson Garlick scored next to the posts five minutes after their last to extend their lead to 28-18. 

The Sea Eagles looked to be in for a try with nine minutes remaining as Faulalo made his way through the defence. Unfortuantely, the play was called back due to an obstruction in the build-up, dashing the home side’s chances for the time being. 

A late try to Ben Condon wasn’t enough for Blacktown to make a comeback, with the second-rower crossing with just under a minute remaining for a final scoreline of 28-22. 

Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles take on the Newcastle Knights at Newcastle Permanent Centre of Excellence on Sunday, June 9, at 2.30pm. 

Bears 28 (Tries: Yates, Stevanovic, Stimson, Ieremia, Garlick. Goals: Hayman 4/5) d. Sea Eagles 22 (Tries: Paulo, Heleta, Abbey, Condon. Goals: Humphreys 3/4) 


© Andrew Bateup Photography